Tiny Turquoise Trailer

Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Camping Gods

I've been gone for a while.  Actually, like, a year and a half. Trying to catch this blog completely up to date sounds like torture and, since I am not a masochist, I am just going to leap ahead and blog about what I really want to blog about...OUR WONDERFUL, EPIC, COMPLETELY INSANE ADVENTURE!

So, after a few experimental trips (I'll blog about those later-don't worry!), we decided that it was time to put our big kid panties on and take this tiny turquoise trailer on a real road trip.  We had read amazing things about the Kirk Creek Campground in Big Sur, California, so that's where we set our sights.  Now, be warned, trying to get a campsite in Kirk Creek takes major planning.    Recreation.gov is pure unadulterated madness.  Only seriously insane people hope for these much coveted campsites.  I qualified for the being insane part, so I sat anxiously huddled over my cell phone on February 3rd, hoping for an August 3rd campsite.  I'm not going to tell you exactly how you score these campsites (because I have my own tricks and, honestly, I might be up against YOU for my next campsite), all I am going to say is have an account and a good wifi connection, wait for the witching hour when the sites go online and pray to the Camping Gods that they will smile on you.  I scored my dream site at Kirk Creek - #17 - and when  I went back (less than two minutes later) to see if any sites were still available...there wasn't any.  All gone! So, at least I had the Camping Gods smiling down on me for that one minute of my life. Whew!

Luckily, I got to do that several more times for each of the campgrounds that we stayed in.  Insane. That's what it is. It gave me the shakes for a week.

Our itinerary was to spend: (starting in Utah, because that's where we live, ya'll) one night in Elko, Nevada; one night in Truckee, California; three nights in Big Sur; one night in the Sierra Nevadas; two nights in Yosemite; and one night on the return trip through Nevada.

Ambitious.  I was more than slightly worried to take this little 50 year old trailer on such a extensive trip.  The hubster was hoping that we wouldn't come back hauling a pile of kindling that used to be my lovely trailer.  He is such a naysayer...but I was worried about the same thing.  I just wouldn't say it out loud.  Saying it out loud sounds like inviting the Camping Gods to have a good belly laugh at my expense.

Oh yeah, and I repainted the bottom.  This was just a better color.



No comments:

Post a Comment