Tiny Turquoise Trailer

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Day 3 - Lovely Kirk Creek Campground

Up and outta there...
We didn't suppress the urge to be quiet while loading up. I know. We are shameless. We, however, didn't blast our horn like I wanted to.  Rick is the only one who didn't hear the nighttime entertainment, so he still had scruples. Kolton and I compared notes.  Yes, we both did indeed hear our neighbors singing "Piano Man".  At 2:00 am.  Awesome.

We stopped in Truckee to buy stuff.  One thing about having a vintage trailer with vintage appliances - the ice in the icebox will quickly melt, so planning on long term refrigeration is fruitless.  I liked Truckee and would have liked to hang around a bit longer but we had another long haul in front of us so on we went.

We listened to the podcast of "Things You Should Know" about the Donner Party while we were ascending and descending Donner's Summit.  Made us wish that we weren't eating breakfast in the car. Yuck.  My brother used to tell me, when I was like 11 or 12, that I had Donner Party Legs.  This meant that the Donner Party could have lived weeks off of my legs.  Apparently, I didn't have bird legs like he did.  I remembered all of this while listening to the podcast.  It just made me mad at him all over again. Stupidhead.  It's this type of thing that makes me never want to return his tools...

We were a bit worried about descending Donners Summit.  Our Tiny Turquoise Trailer doesn't have any trailer brakes, but our sweet little Murano was great and we didn't have any problems. Another whew!

The journey through California and down the coast was uneventful but busy and long. Finally.. Finally...FINALLY!  we started down Highway 1. That was terrifying.  I had the unfortunate position to be on the sheer drop off side.  In my defense, it was the pulling of the trailer that made me nervous.  That and the fact that the hubby was tired and I was worried about him.


Bixby Bridge
 The 'not too scary' part of Highway 1


Oh, but the gloriousity that awaited our arrival!

This pic is shot from our picnic table.  What an amazing view.




Amazing is not going to cut it...it was magnificent.  Our campsite was (in my humble opinion) the best one in the campground.  There, actually, wasn't a bad campsite but ours was fantastic...well worth the anxiety it took to get it.

So, big sigh of relief!  We made it and now we can settle in for a few wonderful, beautiful days on the California coast.

Side note: Kirk Creek has no water. None. So, bring your own or you will have a very sad and expensive day. We freeze jugs of water to use in our icebox.  You can use that as drinking water as they melt.  We also use a 3 gallon spillproof jug as a backup.  Bathrooms and overall campground were really clean.
See the speck of blue?  That is our trailer and tent!


No comments:

Post a Comment