Tiny Turquoise Trailer

Monday, June 10, 2013

Meanwhile, somewhere in Mexico...

I do love cool paint.  Rustoleum brushed nickel, to be exact.  This is to be the color of my stripe.  Partially because my new car is silver and I want it to look simpatico.  So, I broke out my quilter's ruler and some tape and went to work.  That quilters ruler is cool too.  I must have my dad's blood running through my veins because that man could spend the whole day in the hardware store and just be tickled pink with all the cool things he could find.

Any who...
You've seen the before, so this is during...


And after....
Wow! Lookin' Good!

Don't you wish you had such a helpful dog?  

THEN...
as if this excitement wasn't enough...

I took my tiny turquoise trailer to the tire shop to get my bearings repacked.  You should have seen the look on the tire guys face when I pulled in...apparently they don't get many vintage trailers.
Two hours later, I got a call from Sean - the tire guy.  My axel is "unusual".  I asked if that was code for old. He said "yes" but that he knew a guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy that could get me new bearings.
At this point, I figured that my new bearings were being bought from the back of a van in Mexico.
But, my brother (the one I steal  borrow stuff from) freaked me out by telling me stories of a buddy's horse trailer catching on fire (with the horses in it) because of faulty bearings.  So, I told Sean "Go for it" and the big one "Do I need to take my high blood pressure medicine before you tell me what it's going to cost?"
Long story short - Four days and $200.
In the meantime, I got a hitch put on my new Murano.  Riding in "Trouble" for more than an hour gives me the shakes and makes me hoarse from yelling over the diesel engine.  I have so many people say "Can your car pull that trailer?" Uhhhh.  Honestly, that question makes me nervous because I DON'T KNOW! ok?   I feel that I am well informed.  I researched and asked the dealer and both sources said "Yes"  My little trailer only weighs 1160lbs. plus tongue weight and my Murano can handle 3500 lbs. so I am in the clear.

 In theory.
"In theory" is such a gray area.




No comments:

Post a Comment