Tiny Turquoise Trailer

Monday, May 6, 2013

Assessing...

My lovely 1964 green trailer got a good once over.
Overall, she looked pretty dang good.  The front and rear bottom skins had a few dings and needed to be reattached.
Underneath looked good and she had pretty new tires.  Need to get some baby moons for those puppies, though.


The floor was in good shape.  The propane and water lines had been recently redone.
She didn't stink, which is a biggy.  I am super sensitive to smells and that would have been a deal breaker.
There was a fairly good sized dent by the front window.  I thought about fixing the dent, and then thought - naw.  I'm going to put up an awning and that would help hide it.  Besides, she's 50 years old and entitled to have a few dents.  I'm 46 and no amount of spackle is going to fix some of my dings.  I feel that we are kindred spirits and our dings show that we have lived!




Enough of that!
So, I resecured the skins and got ready for paint.
But, first comes the crappy part.  Prep work.  The first order of  business is to steal borrow my brothers sander.  He has good tools, since he is a custom home builder, and leaves them out in plain sight in his shop, which is, conveniently for me,  in my backyard. All of the really great stuff he has under lock and key in his trailer, which is a smart move on his part because I kinda have sticky fingers.  In my defense, I always return them, since I'm not a thief.  Just a covert borrower.

Putting up with him has to have some perks (just kidding?).

So, I sanded my little heart out.  And caulked...and caulked.  I know, the purists out there say not to caulk a vintage trailer.  Well, this is my philosophy  - the trailer was not leaking.  Except for the back window which I will get into later.  Shannon had caulked the hell out of her because she refurbished the trailer to take to California and didn't want to get the trailer there and mess with a bunch of leaks.  I figured that to take off the caulk would do more harm than good and possibly damage the seals.   If I do say so myself, I am a pretty dang good caulker and so I just wanted to clean up and smooth some of the joints.  I took off what I could and prettified the rest.



 just keep sanding...just keep sanding...

It took one whole day.  Mostly because I had to keep yelling at the dog to quit eating stuff that she shouldn't and to stop chasing the cat.  
And, then, I had to put on sunscreen because it is like the first warm day in Utah and I started to hear my arms sizzle.
I noticed my brother driving by and had to hide the sander.  

You know, I'm really not a very good sister.  I'll bake him some cookies after I finish borrowing all his stuff.



  


    

No comments:

Post a Comment