Tiny Turquoise Trailer

Sunday, May 19, 2013

I have a confession...I love to paint.

So, my brother (the one that I steal borrow all the stuff from) says that my house is shrinking.
  Because I constantly paint my walls.  He thinks that he is hilarious.

I do love paint, though.

I don't really love the prep, but, unfortunately,  I can't get anyone else to do it for me.  I'm going to hand roll my little trailer, mostly because I have a very steady hand and can cut-in like nobody's business.
Sooo...
Off I went to my favorite place - the paint store, and had a little chit-chat with the paint guy about painting on aluminum. " Latex paint", he said.  "Use a good primer", he also said,  which I already knew.  We talked about why no oil based paint.  He said that oil based was originally used because that's what they had in the 1950-60's.  Problem is that aluminum needs paint that can flex and move, which is latex.  So, I came home and researched the heck out of it and, sure enough, 9 out of 10 people said latex.  
I went to Home Depot and bought primer, a mess of foam rollers, and "Snow Fall" from Behr in a exterior satin enamel. I only had one person look at me like I was crazy when I said that I was painting a trailer.  
Painting was super easy, except I had to get my 6'6 hubby to roll the roof.  He was spreading mulch at the time and only sighed a little bit.  He really is a winner-winner-chicken dinner. 
And pretty tolerant - like I said before.
After the second coat of "Snow Fall"  Looking so clean!

I ran out of time, since the weekend is only so long.  I had to go back to Home Depot on Monday to get the bottom color.  It was between "Voyager" and "Tahoe Blue".  I stood there so long thinking that the paint person asked me 6 times if I was ready.  The lady next to me asked what I was doing with the paint and I had to tell her.  She told me that she was a decorator and to choose "Tahoe Blue".  I promptly chose "Voyager".  Now, I have nothing against decorator's because I work with them every day.  And I do my fair share of design work, as well.  The problem comes when they feel that they have to tell me that they are a decorator  (like I should give them a crown or something) in a condescending tone. Besides, unsolicited advice is one (only one?) of my pet peeves.  

I, however, LOVE solicited advice.

I lugged my paint home and crossed my fingers, hoping that my hatred of unsolicited advice hadn't made me choose something stupid.   The first swipe of paint made me laugh out loud. 
 Don't worry, my neighbors already think I'm nuts.  
Of course, one of my neighbor's is also my mom and she has had a lifetime of dealing with my randomness.  My other neighbor has turned a deaf ear to whatever I'm doing because I'm usually yelling at the dog.

Such a happy, vintagey color! And perfect.  I had previously picked out another color, but felt that it was too green.  And I also felt that "Tahoe Blue"  was too light. Love "Voyager"!
Do you love the Shasta stripe?  Me, too!
Adios Lucky Charm Green!
See the oil spots in our driveway?  They are from my hubby's truck.  It's named "Trouble"
  The truck, not my  husband.  Lucky for me, "Trouble" gets to pull the trailer until we get a new vehicle.


No comments:

Post a Comment